The electrical division is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Michigan Electrical Code (Part 8 rules incorporating the National Electrical Code) and related laws, ordinances and standards.
The electrical division inspector and plan reviewer Ken Simpson is an independent contractor duly registered with the State of Michigan to perform inspections of electrical work and plan reviews.
Call Ken's office (269-471-5869) on application questions and you can download an application for an electrical permit here or on our forms page.
Procedure to obtain electrical permit and inspections:
- Ensure that your “project” for equipping a building with electrical conductors or equipment or the alteration of, change in, or addition to, electrical conductors or equipment is located within Niles Charter Township. Check your tax bill if unsure or call our office 269-687-2741.
- Download the appropriate application form. Note: Consult this Michigan Bureau of Construction Codes, Electrical Division webpage for information on “to whom permits are issued” (Electrical Code Rules, Part 8, Section 80.19.1) http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-10575_17394_17415---,00.html
- Submit all the required information to our office (320 Bell Road) for a plan review if required. Application approval or denial will follow within 10 business days (15 business days on complicated projects) Contact us for email submission at 269-687-2741.
- Follow the permit requirements and contact Ken Simpson’s office (electrical inspections only) when the work (portion to be inspected) is ready for inspection. Inspections must be scheduled on the phone with at least 24 hours notice. Call 269-471-5869 and have permit number, location, type of inspection, site access information available.
- Approvals (green sticker) and disapprovals (red sticker) of work by inspectors will be noted and communicated to the permit holder. Green sticker (approval) means you may proceed and conceal the approved work. Red sticker (disapproval) means deficiencies/code violations have been identified and you may not proceed to conceal work until the deficiencies/code violations have been corrected and the work has been re-inspected and approved (green sticker) by the inspector.
- Once the final inspections and approvals have been obtained you will be issued a certificate of use and occupancy for the building/structure or portion of the work therein. You may not use or occupy areas of construction under permit until the certificate of use and occupancy has been issued by Niles Charter Township.
Licensed Electrical Contractors:
Information on electrical licensing by the State of Michigan is available at this webpage http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-10575_17409-42954--,00.html
Fees for electrical work are on the 2nd page of the application form.
Check the Michigan Bureau of Construction Codes for interpretations of the codes by the Michigan Construction Code Commission http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-10575_17573-189045--,00.html
Electrical Permit Application