Welcome to the Building Division
|Contact the Building Division
320 Bell Road
Niles, Michigan 49120
Phone (269) 687-2741 Ext. 18
Building Official: Todd Herter
Procedure to obtain building permit and inspections:
- Ensure that your “project” for construction, addition, alteration, repair, moving, occupancy change or demolition etc. is located within Niles Charter Township. Check your tax bill if unsure or call our office 269-687-2741.
- Download the appropriate application form.
- Submit all the required information to our office (320 Bell Road) for a plan review. Application approval or denial will follow within 10 business days.
- Follow the permit requirements and notify our office (building inspections only) when the work (portion to be inspected) is ready for inspection. Inspections must be scheduled on the phone (no email or fax ) and we require 24 hours notice for scheduling purposes.
- Approvals (green sticker) and disapprovals (red sticker) of work by inspectors will be noted and communicated to the permit holder. Green sticker (approval) means you may proceed and conceal the approved work. Red sticker (disapproval) means deficiencies/code violations have been identified and you may not proceed to conceal work until the deficiencies/code violations have been corrected and the work has been re-inspected and approved (green sticker) by the inspector.
- Once the final inspections and approval have been obtained you will be issued a certificate of use and occupancy for the building/structure or portion of the work therein. You may not use or occupy areas of construction under permit until the certificate of use and occupancy has been issued by Niles Charter Township.
Please consult the Michigan Commercial Services web site for information on licensed contractors and builders. You can also verify a license from this link and obtain valuable information on contractors and builders, including “how to file a complaint”. http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-35299_35395---,00.html
- Permit for roof covering (re-roof overlay and tear-off) to an existing building
- Permit for exterior wall covering (re-siding) to an existing building
- Permit for replacement windows in an existing building
Check the Michigan Bureau of Construction Codes for interpretations of the codes by the Michigan Construction Code Commission http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-10575_17573-189045--,00.html