Elections & Voting

Election Information

All township elections are handled through the Niles Charter Township Clerk's Office. To be eligible to vote in the State of Michigan you must be a U.S. Citizen, 18 years of age on or before Election Day.

Niles Charter Township Elections

Niles Charter Township Clerk 
Terry Eull

Phone: 269-684-0870 ext. 123
Email: teull@nilestwpmi.gov 

Deputy Clerk 
Angie Cole

Phone: 269-684-0870 ext. 115
Email: acole@nilestwpmi.gov 
Fax: 269-684-1996

Polling Locations   All polling locations will be open to receive voters for the August 8, 2023 Special Election for a ballot proposal for Lake Michigan College.  Polling locations are as follows:

  • Precinct 1 - Fairland Church 1811 River Bluff Road
  • Precinct 2 - Police Complex 1600 Silverbrook Ave.
  • Precinct 3 - Nile Charter Township D.P.W 322 Bell Road
  • Precinct 4 - Community Evangelical Free Church 120 E. Bertrand Road
  • Precinct 5 - Bend of the River Conservation 900 Mayflower Road

Election Dates:  Special Election August 8, 2023

                                      Weekend Hours:   Saturday, August 5, 2023 the Clerk's office will be open to receive and distribute absentee ballots from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  

Lake Michigan College has a ballot proposal on the August 8, 2023 Special Election Ballot.  You may obtain a sample ballot at the Clerk's office or you can view a sample ballot at Upcoming elections (michigan.gov) when they become available.

Michigan Voter Information Center

Michigan’s “VOTER INFORMATION CENTER” is available online for all Michigan residents to utilize.  The site provides residents information regarding their voter registration, polling location and election related information. michigan.gov/vote

Additional information available from the web site includes:

  • Are You Registered?
  • Find Your Clerk
  • Register to Vote
  • Absentee Voting
  • Working at the Polls
  • Voting Equipment and Voting Information
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Statewide Ballot Proposals
  • Candidate Information Links
  • Voter Identification
  • Ballot Displayed for Current Election

Visit the VOTER INFORMATION CENTER at www.michigan.gov/vote

Voter Registration

Voter Registration can be handled through the Secretary of State’s Office or at the Niles Charter Township Clerk’s Office. Name and address changes must be made through the S.O.S. office, as it may affect your driver’s license number. Michigan law also requires that your driver’s license and voter registration use the same address. Updates to your driver’s license or voter registration can be made at any Secretary of State office throughout Michigan.

You can also download the pdf of the voter registration form by going to the Secretary of State web site: www.michigan.gov/sos. The form needs to be filled out in its entirety, signed and mailed to the Niles Charter Township Clerk’s Office at 320 Bell Road Niles, Michigan 49120. *THE VOTER REGISTRATION FORM CANNOT BE COMPLETED ON-LINE!*  You must print the form, complete it in its entirety and either mail or deliver it to the Niles Charter Township Clerk’s Office.

Picture ID Requirement
Due to a court ruling, every Michigan voter who votes in the polls or votes by absentee ballot must comply with the requirement by showing picture identification requirement by showing a Michigan driver’s license or a Michigan ID card.  The following forms of picture identification may also be used as long as they are current:

  • Federal or state government-issued photo identification.
  • U.S. passport
  • Military ID card with photo, Student ID cared with photo from high school or an accredited institution of higher education.
  • Tribal ID card with photo.

Change of Address

If you move within a city or township, you must update your address.  This can be handled by the Clerk’s Office or at a Secretary of State branch office.  Whenever you move to a new city or township, you must re-register to vote.

First-time Voter

If you have never voted in Michigan and register by mail, you must appear in person to vote in the first election in which you wish to participate.  This requirement does not apply if (1) you personally hand deliver the mail-in registration form to your county, city or township clerk’s office instead of mailing the form (2) you are 60 years of age or more (3) you are disabled or (4) you are eligible to vote under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act.

To Vote

To vote, simply appear at your assigned polling place on election day.  The polls are open from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.

Your Voter Identification Card lists your precinct number and your assigned polling location.  If you do not receive a Voter Identification Card within three weeks after registering, contact your Clerk's office for your registration status.  You may also check your status on the Michigan Voter Information Center web site at www.Michigan.gov/vote.

Outside the U.S.

A Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) can also be used to apply for an absentee ballot if your are temporarily outside the U.S.  The FPCA must be signed under oath unless you, your spouse or your parents are serving in the armed forces or Merchant Marines.