The plumbing division is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Michigan Plumbing Code (Part 7 rules incorporating the International Plumbing Code), related laws, ordinances and standards. 

The plumbing division inspector and plan reviewer John Dobberteen is an independent contractor and duly registered with the State of Michigan to perform inspections of plumbing work and plan reviews.

Call our office (269-651-4567) on application questions and you can download an application for a plumbing permit here or on our forms page.

Procedure to obtain plumbing permit and inspections:
  1. Ensure that your “project” to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any plumbing system is located within Niles Charter Township.  Check your tax bill if unsure or call our office 269-651-4567
  2. Download the appropriate application form.  Note:  Consult this Michigan Bureau of Construction Codes, Plumbing Division webpage for information on “to whom permits are issued”   
  3. Submit all the required information to our office (320 Bell Road) for a plan review if required.  Application approval or denial will follow within 10 business days (15 business days on complicated projects) 
  4. Follow the permit requirements and contact John Dobberteen's office (plumbing inspections only) when the work (portion to be inspected) is ready for inspection.  Inspections must be scheduled on the phone with at least 24 hours notice.  Call 269-651-4567 and have permit number, location, type of inspection, site access information available.
  5. Approvals (green sticker) and disapprovals (red sticker) of work by inspectors will be noted and communicated to the permit holder.  Green sticker (approval) means you may proceed and conceal the approved work.  Red sticker (disapproval) means deficiencies/code violations have been identified and you may not proceed to conceal work until the deficiencies/code violations have been corrected and the work has been re-inspected and approved (green sticker) by the inspector.
  6. Once the final inspections and approvals have been obtained you will be issued a certificate of use and occupancy for the building/structure or portion of the work therein.  You may not use or occupy areas of construction under permit until the certificate of use and occupancy has been issued by Niles Charter Township.
Licensed Plumbing Contractors:

Information on plumbing licensing by the State of Michigan is available at this webpage,1607,7-154-10575_17394_17570---,00.html 
Fees for plumbing work are on the 2nd page of the application form. Check the Michigan Bureau of

Fee schedule:
Construction Codes for interpretations of the codes by the Michigan Construction Code Commission,1607,7-154-10575_17573-189045--,00.html 

Plumbing Permit Application